Austin Hope Sauvignon Blanc 2020
A lovely, complex, and fantastic display of a California Sauvignon Blanc. Bright citrus aromas set the stage for the elegant and evolving flavors of honeysuckle, fresh meyer lemon, vanilla and a hint of creaminess that balances the delightful acidity of this well balanced and wine perfect for the summer days ahead.
Vineyard Notes: Our Paso Robles Sauvignon Blanc vineyard sits high above the city of Paso Robles in the Estrella district. Situated on a south-facing slope with a fairly step aspect allows us to manipulate the vines to take full advantage of the summer days while providing good shading for the clusters. Wind gusts are common at this elevation from both the north and the south, providing a much-needed cool-down on warm days. This vintage was the second crop for these young vines. We harvested part of the vineyard early in September at lower brix (sugar) levels, then waited a month to harvest the rest with higher brix and a little more color on the skins to take advantage of the different flavor profiles.
Winemaker Notes: After harvesting, grapes for the Austin Hope Sauvignon Blanc were whole-cluster pressed into stainless steel tanks for settling. The juice was then racked off its heavy lees into barrels and tanks for fermentation 80% of the juice was barrel fermented in a mix of new, one to two time used and neutral, while the other 20% was fermented in stainless steel. The barrel fermented portion saw 4 months of sur-lie aging and during the first three months, the barrels were stirred monthly to add to the creamy nature of the wine. After the final blend was assembled, the wine was gently crossflow filtered before bottling.