This medium- bodied Chardonnay displays our signature rich toasted notes of caramel on the nose and through the pallet. Hints of peach, orange blossom and honey balance bright acidity with a crisp green apple characteristic. The chalky-minerality finish lingers with a touch of mandarin creating a wine that is powerful and refined.
The 2018 growing season gave us near-normal rainfall and mild conditions through spring with only a few weeks of exception. July brought a short period of very warm weather that slowed vine growth and berry sizing. Fortunately, moderate weather for the remainder of the growing season enabled vines to thrive. Leading up to harvest, the vines slow berry maturity was ideal for “hang time” resulting in predicted yields, high fruit quality with amazing color and structure.
After harvesting, grapes for the Treana Chardonnay were whole-cluster pressed into stainless steel tanks for settling. The juice was then racked off its heavy lees into barrels and tanks for fermentation 65% of the juice was barrel fermented while the other 35% was fermented in stainless steel. The barrel fermented portion saw 8 months of sur-lie aging and during the first three months, the barrels were stirred monthly to add to the creamy nature of the wine. The initial blend was assembled in June of 2019 and a portion was barrel-aged an additional month. The barrels we use offer a distinctive nuance to this wine. They are toasted at lower temperatures for longer periods of time, resulting in the creamy caramel flavors that integrate so well with the fruit and acidity of the wine